Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Stream of Consciousness

I've been beating myself up for a few days now. I've become a blogger and with that comes a certain amount of discipline to, get this, actually blog. I know, a massive surprise isn't it.

The situation where I hadn't blogged for a while crystalised last night when Kylee casually said to me, 'you haven't posted anything in a while.'

"What the ..."

You see, Kylee is an infrequent reader of my stuff and for her to notice, well, it clearly has been a while.

It's not like I've been doing nothing in between posts. I'm quite meticulous when it comes to jotting down ideas for posts, in fact I have several folders that I use in my writing process. I start with an idea, a few words or a phrase. I then write a paragraph or two, leave it for a period, come back and draft some more, polish it a bit until I post my blog. I just haven't been very good at steps 2, 3 and 4 of late.

I was reminiscing the other day, back to the early months of being at home with James when his day was predominantly filled with sleeping and I toyed with the idea of doing some further study because I had all this time on my hands. These days I have a one sleep a day boy who has a great skill at devolving the good order of the house.

So, here I am today, blogging away out of obligation, realising that I need to use the time after James goes to sleep at night more wisely, otherwise there will be no drafting process and the words that are read will be as they are today, unedited, straight from thought to page in this great stream of consciousness.

End result, more random, babbling, meandering writing than usual.

4 comments:

  1. There's nothing wrong with stream of consciousness - think James Joyce.

    Well written stream of consciousness - such as you post here - is riveting.

    I love to enter into another's mind and see how it looks, especially when the other's mind is one preoccupied with a struggle over the sorts of issues you raise here, namely the process of writing and the way it clashes with the demands of life, including the raising of children.

    Thanks for a great post. Feel free to let your consciousness stream again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be hard.

    Kaka.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More posts please??????

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, hopefully I'm back.

    I think feedback is a double edge sword. When you get it feel good because you know people are reading your posts and that's good for the ego. But when you don't get any you start to wonder if people out in cyber blog world have stopped reading your posts.

    Of course I should just remind myself that I started writing to remember the things you tend to forget and in a way I'm writing this for James to hopefully enjoy when he is older.

    ReplyDelete